ondarvr
(Chromer)
08/30/07 08:44 PM
Halibut reel, what do I need to know?

I'm looking for a halibut reel and know nothing about what I need. I don't fish for them locally, or at least haven't yet, but I may start, I do go AK every year and hate to use the junk they have on most charter boats. I may buy a new rod too, but I have one that's never had a reel on it, kind a of a cheap 50 to 80# model. I was looking at a Lamiglas 80 to 100# roller tip, let me know if this is what I need.

Thanks.

Greg_G
(FLOSSER)
08/30/07 08:55 PM
Re: Halibut reel, what do I need to know?

Well depends on how much you want to spend if you want a good one and dont mind spending some money look into a Okuma Titus Gold but if you dont want to spend more than $150 look into a Shimano Charter Special

Greg

jimh
(Salted and Unsalted Boater!)
08/30/07 09:15 PM

I'd probably buy a Penn GT345 in the normal price range reels. It's a 50 lb line class reel. I don't think you want to go smaller. You could buy a tuna reel like an avet, but that I think that's overkill since from all I've read they don't really do smoking runs. You could go two speed reel, but that's a lot more money. I think the 50 to 80 model rod is probably fine if it has a roller tip.

Gooose
(Ancient Mod)
08/30/07 09:39 PM

One thing to consider is how deep you plan on fishing butts. Personally I hate fishing deeper than 300 feet and there are plenty of places to successfully fish butts within that depth range. A smaller reel such as a Penn 10 loaded with 65 pd braid would suffice for that. Deeper depths down to 600 feet with heavier gear then look at heavier reels and several of my buds have gone to electric driven reels which are legal.

ondarvr
(Chromer)
08/30/07 10:05 PM

I've got a Penn 309 and a 149, didn't think the 309 was big enough though. I'm not into the 300'+ stuff, I pulled a 160# butt from 300' this summer and that was work, heck just cranking it up with nothing on was a lot of work. I don't think I fish for them enough to justify an electric reel.

Thanks for information so far.

Greg_G
(FLOSSER)
08/30/07 10:40 PM

We fished for them in 700+ with 2 pounds of weight and that was a pain in the butt let alone a 30 pound ling pullin down on it

jimh
(Salted and Unsalted Boater!)
08/31/07 07:46 AM

I think the 309 is too small, too. Like I said go for the 345.

Alaskan
(ultimate predator)
08/31/07 08:35 AM

I can't comment on Butt fishing down there, but up here I use a Penn 330GTI, but wish I had a 345. I run 65# braid and have never had a problem. One of these day's Illl step up to a Shimano TLD 2 speed though.
As far as rods go, stay away from roller tips. Get one with a ceramic tip. The rollers rust and seize up, or the line slips off (especially braid) and gets caught up between the roller and the frame and then it fray's the line.

Mojo
(Sturgeon Trainer)
08/31/07 09:58 PM

Shimano Tekota 800. Great reels, hold a ton of line.

Greg_G
(FLOSSER)
08/31/07 10:10 PM

Ya those Shimano Tekota are good reels too

ondarvr
(Chromer)
09/01/07 03:17 PM

Should I be spending that much on a reel that will be used only a couple of times a year?

Mojo
(Sturgeon Trainer)
09/01/07 09:55 PM

Well, if it makes a positive difference on those few trips, but you can keep using it for years, my answer is yes.

I bought a couple of Okuma reels for sturgeon fishing, and they basically fell apart after a few trips. I replaced them with then next higher product line reel, and the same thing happened. I figure I spent 130.00 for my Tekota 800 on e-bay (NIB), and used if for several years. I'd have spent more buying a new Okuma every 4 to 8 trips than I have already on my Tekota, and it is still kicking butt.

I've caught a bunch of big sturgeon on my Penn 330 GTI reels as well. I'd consider the 330 GTI or the 345 GTI the minimum.

ondarvr
(Chromer)
09/01/07 10:11 PM

Thanks

I was looking on ebay at the 800, I saw them for 159.00 or so. I'll check one out and see what it feels like in my hands. I need to check and see if they make it in a lefty model, I can go either way, but I use left handed baitcasters when I can.

Mojo
(Sturgeon Trainer)
09/02/07 07:40 AM

I don't think they make a lefty, but I'm not sure. If you buy one off e-bay, contact Shimano and make sure it was manufactured after they "fixed" the drag problem. When the first 700 and 800 models were manufatured they had an issue with the drags being so smooth (literally so low friction coefficient) that the had drag creep. The line would very slowly roll off the reel even with the drag cranked. Shimano provided drag replacement kits free of charge. My reel is a couple years old, and it has the "new" drag. Never had a problem.

That's the only thing to wtch for on these reels that I know of.

ondarvr
(Chromer)
09/02/07 09:44 AM

Thanks, good info.

CastawayChris
()
09/08/07 09:08 PM

Personally as far as Penn reels go, i would buy the 113h or the 114h or bigger and not bother with the GTI series for they are not built as tough as the senator series reels, rather cheaply built with lots of plastic!

Trouthead
(Subject of the Puritan Rep. of Washington)
09/10/07 06:18 AM

Another vote for the 113H or 114H. I also use a roller tip and a double roller stripper guide and have never had a problem. I will use dacron instead of braid sometimes for 80lb. and less. My 114H is loaded with 130 lb. braid.

AkKings
(Chromer)
09/10/07 10:13 AM

Quote:

As far as rods go, stay away from roller tips. Get one with a ceramic tip. The rollers rust and seize up, or the line slips off (especially braid) and gets caught up between the roller and the frame and then it fray's the line.

Been using roller guides for years, never had any of those problems.

Gooose
(Ancient Mod)
09/12/07 10:27 PM

Course you could always go with an electric which I believe are now legal in Washington.

archy99
(Chromer)
09/13/07 08:59 PM

You can find a boat load of Penn Senators on Ebay...real popular on the east coast in all sizes, and since they have been made for many years, you can pick up some interesting one-offs and customs (frames, etc) that have come out over the years. Great reels.

archy99
(Chromer)
09/13/07 09:12 PM

For instance...
http://cgi.ebay.com/penn-senator-16-0-14...1QQcmdZViewItem

...I'd hate to have the bill for loading that thing each season. Though you could probably just peel off the top 1/4 inch layer and only lose a 1/8 of a mile capacity.

Two miles of 130# mono...ouch.

ondarvr
(Chromer)
09/13/07 11:32 PM

I've been looking at the Penns on Ebay and they do have some nice custom ones. I've bid on a couple nice ones (stock) but as normal on ebay, the bidding can get very high and after shipping it's about the same price as getting one local.

Willipaoysterman
(Tuna Meister)
12/14/08 07:06 PM

ELECTRIC!!!

snit
(dual red striper)
02/06/09 08:23 PM

The main question is how deep you gonna fish? Cook Inlet is a big difference as compared to Kodiak. I like 600 size Tekota's with G-Loomis Muskie rods, or Cal Star uprights with rollers. I've done Cook Inlet an it's work (60 fathoms and a 20' tide and 8#'s of lead...sucks!!!) Kodiak is way easier. 120' with normal tides and 1.5#'s of lead. I luv 'butts but I like to fight them and not the conditions. Really depends on where you plan to fish, but all good advice above.

Foxtrotter
(Lord)
02/10/09 06:35 PM

A Penn GTI 340 with 100 yds of 40# mono backer and 300 yds of 80# power pro

A 5'6" roller top rod. The Shakspeare version is economical, the Lamiglas is more sensitive.

any other ?s, PM me

Fox

BonkerBill
(scrappy)
02/02/10 11:47 PM

avets for hand crank and mia epicks for electrics

BARCHASER
(BARCHASER)
02/12/10 10:16 PM

I've been using a Penn Senator for 20+ years, mostly in the Strait but also off of westside of Vanc Island. The Penn is Ok but it is not what you'd call smooth, kind of clunky actually. After using it all these years I thought I'd get something new for my birthday in March.

I'm thinking on the Shimano Tekota 700... or maybe the 800, which is same price and only weighs one oz more. I checked prices and Johns Spt Gds in Everett has them cheaper than Cabelas and no shipping charge.

I see some guys using electrics on the Strait but I've heard they are REALLY expensive.

CastawayChris
()
02/15/10 04:42 PM

When you think your on the water and you hear a crane running, chances are that its BonkerBill with Castaway and Crew with 3 electrics screamin away with big fat butts.

Trouthead
(Subject of the Puritan Rep. of Washington)
02/16/10 12:13 PM

Quote:

CastawayChris said:
When you think your on the water and you hear a crane running, chances are that its BonkerBill with Castaway and Crew with 3 electrics screamin away with big fat butts.

Castaway with a big butt I understand but are you catching any fish?

CastawayChris
()
02/16/10 04:20 PM

KNEW THAT WAS COMIN!

Contact Us | Privacy statement | Rules- Exclusion of Liablity | My Cookies| Mark All Read | Browser Check Steelheader.net

UBB.threads™ 6.4.1

Search Now:
In Association with Amazon.com

Salmon Fishing