AuntyM
(Aunty-dote)
12/27/04 11:22 AM
Advice?

OK... Here's my situation. We logged our 5 acres during the early fall. We left about half of our trees uncut, mostly in islands. We are left with tops, branches and many "undesirable" logs in debris piles. About half the piles are along the property lines up against brush and trees belonging to others, (not occupied property) so we can't burn it. We could bull doze it into more piles and burn it, or we could allow it to compost in place? (Caveman will take some of it for firewood, but there is a heck of a lot)

To make a long story short, I found this MycoSpored Oils The idea is, you cut up the remaining logs with your chainsaw and use the spored oil in your chainsaw to infuse shrooms and the spores will speed decompostion.

So, what do ya'll think? Is it likely the spores would work and is it something you would try in my situation? I hate the idea of burning all this. If I can get some shrooms out of it, maybe it's worth having the debris piles around?

Quillback
(South of the Mason/Dixon line)
12/27/04 12:54 PM
Re: Advice?

Can you get "psychedelic" mushroom spores? HAHA, just kidding, interesting product, never heard of it until now.

Rocket Red
(Vegetarian Cannibal)
12/27/04 01:04 PM

I didn't see a timeline for the decomposition on the website. Do they give you an idea for how long it takes for the wood to rot away? I.e. based on the log size and thickness of the rounds. Are you wanting to get rid of the "undesireable" timber for land clearing or safety (fire) purposes? Your timeline may ultimately make your decision for you. If it is a safety issue you may want the piles gone by next summer, and the mushrooms might not work that fast. Are Conifer Tuft mushrooms edible? I don't know if I would eat something that was spawned in a laboratory and spread by chain saw oil.

Also, you could advertise on this board and others for the remaining wood if anyone would like to cut it for firewood. Take it for free or pay to cut. That type of thing is usually snapped up right away, especially in Shelton.

AuntyM
(Aunty-dote)
12/27/04 02:40 PM

Caveman wasn't too keen on having others cut firewood here when I asked, so I didn't pursue it.

The timeline isn't that important. As to fire danger... well, that's one of the reasons for logging what we did. To give us a bigger buffer. I guess my reason for considering this is the ecological value vs burning.

Conifer tuft is supposedly edible but not particulary good eating.

We have some alder that could use the shitake or pearl oyster spore oil though.

MartyAdministrator
(scentaholic)
12/28/04 02:49 AM

I vote cut the firewood and burn the rest.

CastawayChris
()
12/28/04 09:35 AM

yep, bein a tree cuttin/firewood cuttin fool, i second the vote for cut the firewood and burn the rest!

AuntyM
(Aunty-dote)
12/28/04 03:50 PM

Doesn't burning create ash which will lead to an alkaline soil condition?

Gooose
(Ancient Mod)
12/28/04 07:44 PM

I would look at chipping all of the smaller materials and scatter the chips as mulch. Burning the larger rootwads/logs will create alkaline soil conditions but will not convert the entire landscape to those conditions. Add the chip material over the burn piles afterwards. You might even get a morel crop out of it.

CastawayChris
()
12/29/04 01:19 PM

yeah, that good piece of advice too goose, great idea! So not so much burnin is needed, mulch always helps too!

AuntyM
(Aunty-dote)
12/29/04 02:51 PM

Hmmm... It sounded SOOO cool though! But, Gooose is a closet gardener/ex logger/bio dude, so he's probably right.

Wonder how he knew I had a chipper/shreader?

Gooose
(Ancient Mod)
12/30/04 01:09 AM

I don't know diddly bout nothing....please just ignore me for now on.

Contact Us | Privacy statement | Rules- Exclusion of Liablity | My Cookies| Mark All Read | Browser Check Steelheader.net

UBB.threads™ 6.4.1

Search Now:
In Association with Amazon.com

Salmon Fishing