ubbt header

;
Guided fishing on the Quinault river System konebb3  
Guided Steelhead Fishing Holdzit fishing Products
Guided Jet Sled fishing trips Batson Enterprises and Forecast components  
fishidaho Join the CCA in the fight to save coastal fisheries
georgebanner      

Many of the forums are  now private for Supporter/members only including FISHING REPORTS!! ... click here to JOIN

Thanks to everybody who has decided to help maintain our great community.  We continue to grow because of your support.

Fishing Reports >> Great Lakes & MidWest Reports  

Pages: 1
Black_GhostModerator
Thick Tail
Profile Status:
  This User's Profile is 40% Complete

Reged: 06/13/03
Loc: Western GLs
Northern Indiana
      #130466 - 08/22/04 06:41 AM

fyi

A lot of large ones this year also 3-4 year olds in the 15-20 lb class.

August 20, 2004

Record steelhead numbers
OUTDOORS

By LOUIE STOUT
Tribune Correspondent

The unseasonably cool summer has had a strange effect on Michiana fishing, but you won't hear Indiana steelhead fishermen complaining this month.

"Steelhead are everywhere," touted Dave Meuninck, Bodine Hatchery manager. "We're off to a record start, and it's got to be due to the cooler river temperatures."

How good is it? Consider this -- one year ago at this time, there were a little over 1,000 summer-run steelhead in the St. Joseph River.

As of Aug. 4, more than 3,000 had passed the South Bend ladder, according to Bodine video camera fish counts at the ladder.

In 2001 and 2002 there were only 42 and 193 fish respectively that passed the South Bend ladder in early August.

In 2000, when the all-time high was recorded for a fall/spring run, there were one-third as many fish in Mishawaka as there are right now.

And anglers are catching them. According to Meuninck and local bait shop operators, the fish are hitting plugs, spinners, crawlers and spawn. Most of the fish are in the 5- to 8-pound class.

"Some guys who wade at Zappia Park say they can feel the fish bumping into their legs," said Mike McNulty of Midway Bait and Tackle. "A lot of fish are being caught."

Meuninck says river temperatures have been running in the high 60s, about 10 degrees below normal, and river flows have been about normal. The combination of cooler water and current has lured steelhead into to the upper reaches of the St. Joseph where more Hoosier anglers can get to them, instead of the ditches and creeks where they tend to congregate during hot water periods.

Meuninck said warm water is stockpiled along Lake Michigan's eastern shore and an east wind is required to blow out the hot water, which in turn rolls in the colder water.

Bob McCartney of the Trading Post in Edwardsburg agrees, noting that Lake Michigan salmon and trout are being caught near the bottom in 140 feet.

--------------------
"The ability to delude yourself may be an important survival tool."

Jane Wagner

Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
pmflyfisher
king
Profile Status:
  This User's Profile is 60% Complete

Reged: 05/17/04
Loc: GLakes (wisc)
Re: Northern Indiana new [Re: Black_Ghost]
      #139324 - 10/07/04 07:18 PM

st joe is an over rated mud pit warm murky sewage infested water

--------------------
great lakes chrome intercepter

gotta be a 2 hander
i am lost in spey abyss, so he says

blah blah blah,

BG's buddy, BG is my personal rod handler

i let hal carry my long rod while on the stream

Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Marty, buxndux, Dogfish, mudslinger64, Black_Ghost 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 2131

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy statement | Rules- Exclusion of Liablity | My Cookies| Mark All Read | Browser Check Steelheader.net

UBB.threads™ 6.4.1

Search Now:
In Association with Amazon.com

Salmon Fishing