ubbt header

;
Guided fishing on the Quinault river System konebb3  
Guided Steelhead Fishing Holdzit fishing Products
Guided Jet Sled fishing trips Batson Enterprises and Forecast components  
fishidaho Join the CCA in the fight to save coastal fisheries
georgebanner      

Many of the forums are  now private for Supporter/members only including FISHING REPORTS!! ... click here to JOIN

Thanks to everybody who has decided to help maintain our great community.  We continue to grow because of your support.

Fly Fishing >> Spey  

Pages: 1
fredaevansModerator
Thick Tail
Profile Status:
  This User's Profile is 80% Complete

Reged: 06/12/03
Loc: Upper Rogue River- Oregon
Personal opinion here, but the two best spey rod ... new
      #145638 - 11/09/04 07:52 PM

designer/builders in the world are Bob Meiser and Cerry Burkheimer... not close seconds or thirds. Period.

All their rods are tested, retested, and etc., as they are/were designed not for casters (for which they are GREAT) BUT for guys who actually fish. (Now there's an original thought?)

The Burkie 13-6 was the rod that I stacked all other rods up against as far is 'so?' Sigh, did something really stupid to bust a section of a custom Burkie rod built by William Olson, best know for his $1500 custom fly reels. (If you don't know his reels you really do want to do a web seach and DROOL!!)

Anyway, sent the busted rod off to Rob Allen at Burkheimer telling him a 'custom rod,' can you 'repair?' WONDERFUL box on my portch this afternoon. Great job (and they actually had to re-roll a blank section!!!! ) to get this up and running.

TOOOOOO COOL. Burkie's 13-6 is one of two 'ultimate' summer run/low water steelhead spey rods built in the world (No Shxt!!); glad to have my baby back in my hands.

Kadoos to Rob and Carry!!!

Fred

--------------------
Fred A. Evans

Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Black_GhostModerator
Thick Tail
Profile Status:
  This User's Profile is 40% Complete

Reged: 06/13/03
Loc: Western GLs
Re: Personal opinion here, but the two best spey rod ... new [Re: fredaevans]
      #145716 - 11/10/04 07:10 AM

Maybe, never seen either myself, except the price points, let me know when they drop to my frugal fly fisher range. LOL

Such is life when you have two boys and college and a third in two years from now.

BG

--------------------
"The ability to delude yourself may be an important survival tool."

Jane Wagner

williegunn
king
Profile Status:

Reged: 09/23/03
Loc: Banff Scotland
Re: Personal opinion here, but the two best spey rod ... new [Re: Black_Ghost]
      #145781 - 11/10/04 11:46 AM

Fred, ok for your side of the pond but you cannot talk Spey rods without mentioning Bruce and Walker. Musto championship for the last 2 years.
You have the same rod are you hitting those 50yard casts yet?

--------------------
Malcolm
<")////<

BobK
Thick Tail
Profile Status:

Reged: 07/17/03
Loc: Upstate NY, Lake Ontario Tribs
Re: Personal opinion here, but the two best spey rod ... new [Re: williegunn]
      #145792 - 11/10/04 12:43 PM

Awwww... poor BG! Don't complain to ME - I put 3 kids through college, too! (1 when I was retired!!)Yet it didn't keep me from getting what I wanted, when I wanted it.

BG is just "thrifty", "economically prudent", or in plain English, just plain cheap.

BobK

fredaevansModerator
Thick Tail
Profile Status:

Re: Personal opinion here, but the two best spey rod ... new [Re: williegunn]
      #145795 - 11/10/04 12:48 PM

Quote:

williegunn said:
Fred, ok for your side of the pond but you cannot talk Spey rods without mentioning Bruce and Walker. Musto championship for the last 2 years.
You have the same rod are you hitting those 50yard casts yet?

Willie, I'd grant your point if everyone cast/fished an 18' spey rod. These rods take a 'mans-man' to 'heave.' Actually, the B and W's have several very good rods, but little US representation (what do you do if you 'blow one up?'

If they had a reasonable US presence they would probably be better accepted than the CND line of rods. Just my .02 cents.

--------------------
Fred A. Evans

Steelheader69Moderator
Nooch Diver and Camp Cook
Profile Status:

Reged: 12/30/00
Loc: Graham, WA
      #145807 - 11/10/04 01:06 PM

Yeah, I've seen quite a few of the B&W's. But all were in the UK. But reasonably priced. I was actually tempted of getting one of those huge 18' rods. LOL.

I've seen the Burks and the Meisers. Beautiful rods (have looked more at Bob's though). I would've loved to just walk away with a couple at the Sky Spey Clave where I finally met Fred in person. Gorgeous rods, and everyone I heard who were casting them truly loved them. Most wanted to buy one eventually.

--------------------
Project Healing Waters

CampChef Prostaffer

Black_GhostModerator
Thick Tail
Profile Status:

Re: Personal opinion here, but the two best spey rod ... new [Re: Steelheader69]
      #145822 - 11/10/04 02:00 PM

Bruce & Walker - I thought that was a scottish malt liquor you mean they make spey rods to ?

I like local rod makers and service = USA

Handling an 18 foot spey rod must take a real man. LOL

Mr. Krista has a 21 foot 3 incher he will make for you though. I no don't there right MJC ?

BG

--------------------

Jane Wagner

Steelheader69Moderator
Nooch Diver and Camp Cook
Profile Status:

Reged: 12/30/00
Loc: Graham, WA
Re: Personal opinion here, but the two best spey rod ... new [Re: Black_Ghost]
      #145837 - 11/10/04 02:36 PM

Well, I have a rod like the one Fred learned on. It's an old Greenheart Two Hander. Talk about a beast. Now, that's a REAL man's man rod. Hell, thing weighs a good 5#'s WITHOUT the reel (and I'm not lying either). LOL.

--------------------
Project Healing Waters

CampChef Prostaffer

fredaevansModerator
Thick Tail
Profile Status:

Re: Personal opinion here, but the two best spey rod ... new [Re: Steelheader69]
      #146009 - 11/10/04 11:25 PM

Quote:

Steelheader69 said:
Well, I have a rod like the one Fred learned on. It's an old Greenheart Two Hander. Talk about a beast. Now, that's a REAL man's man rod. Hell, thing weighs a good 5#'s WITHOUT the reel (and I'm not lying either). LOL.

Don't know about the "LOL" part but these types of rods required the shoulders of a fuxking lumber-jack to fish all day. Add the reel, silk line that needed to be 're-greased' at least two or three times per outing and you really had to be 'dedicated!!'

... I'm sure that probably helped .. but I was too young to get 'invited.' Sheesh.

--------------------
Fred A. Evans

robA
returning spawner
Profile Status:
  This User's Profile is 60% Complete

Reged: 05/14/03
Loc: Vancouver Wa
      #146319 - 11/11/04 10:20 PM

here is more to a great spey rod than distance... Anyone who judges a rod soley on it's ability to throw a lot of line is making a mistake...

H2H
TWO-HANDER !
Profile Status:

Reged: 02/07/04
Loc: CHROME TRIANGLE !
Re: Personal opinion here, but the two best spey rod ... new [Re: robA]
      #146321 - 11/11/04 10:26 PM

Howdy Rob!

--------------------
Brian

BobK
Thick Tail
Profile Status:

Reged: 07/17/03
Loc: Upstate NY, Lake Ontario Tribs
Re: Personal opinion here, but the two best spey rod ... new [Re: H2H]
      #146336 - 11/12/04 03:22 AM

Hey, Fred -

The guys were glad for a casting break and loved silk line. That's why "Dressing the Line" was looked forward to - along with a little nap while the line was "drying".

That way, you could get ready for another bout of casting!

BobK

fredaevansModerator
Thick Tail
Profile Status:

#146376 - 11/12/04 09:46 AM

Quote:

robA said:
here is more to a great spey rod than distance... Anyone who judges a rod soley on it's ability to throw a lot of line is making a mistake...

Rob, you couldn't have said it better. I've used great casting rods (even own a couple) that when it came to 'actual fishing' they were/are a royal pain in the xxx.

Which is why it's a total delight to work with the Burkie and Meiser rods. Designed by people who actually fish .. now there's a novel thought? ... and understand rod design.

One of the great things about being one of Meiser's 'field testers' is I got the 'job' because Bob knows I not going to fix a yarn fly on the end of the leader. If it won't handle a 'real fly,' probably a heavy one or two, what's the point?

PS: Now if I could just 'con' Carry or Rob Allen into putting me on their field test team ......

--------------------
Fred A. Evans

robA
returning spawner
Profile Status:

#146455 - 11/12/04 05:17 PM

YA Fred this winter we will be disigning some 4 piece stuff, i am sure Kerry would agree that we'd love for you to come visit and cast a few rods. You ought to call up Kerry sometime to just chat and see what happens. hmm maybe this shoulda been a PM.. oh well

fredaevansModerator
Thick Tail
Profile Status:

#146471 - 11/12/04 05:55 PM

Quote:

robA said:
YA Fred this winter we will be disigning some 4 piece stuff, i am sure Kerry would agree that we'd love for you to come visit and cast a few rods. You ought to call up Kerry sometime to just chat and see what happens. hmm maybe this shoulda been a PM.. oh well

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!! ... Well as long as I can leave my clo... never mind. All kidding aside, I'd love too.

All kidding aside, it's not just me that 'test drives/fish' proto's; the other fellows really know what they're about with '2-handers.' The feed-back will be up-front and consise (sp?).

If Mr. B's interested, I/others would be most appricative.

DOUBLE DARN!! Rob, I may be 'repitive' here, but VERY glad to have you join in the Board. Your knowledge of 2-handers is well knowen; much to add!!

Fred

--------------------
Fred A. Evans

Edited by fredaevans (11/12/04 05:57 PM)

robA
returning spawner
Profile Status:

#146580 - 11/13/04 01:01 AM

I think some board members might get a kick out of how rods get designed at CF..
Usually it starts with a customer ordering somehting that isn't in our lineup already, through the course of conversation Kerry will get a feel for what the person is looking for and what exactly the rod needs to do.. after that it percolates in the back of Kerry's mind then one day like the lightbulb coming on Kerry will sit down and crunch some numbers , put it on paper and hand it to me to be made.. It really is kind of a "zen" thing with Kerry.. So we'll build the blank and wiggle it if it doesn't feel the way he expects he'll tweak it a little and run more parts to see how it responds if at that point it feels ok we tape some guides on it and tape on a mock handle and take it down to the river. Usually at this point we can tell if we are on the right track, our usual deal is for Kerry to test different casting strokes with it, hitting it hard, hitting it soft, trying to make bad casts with it, just to see what it does. Then when it's my turn i typically try to crank as much line as i can get it to.. All the time we are bouncing observations off eachother and usually we notice the same things. often we try a couple different lines. we will take that data back to the shop and further tweak the pattern to enhance performance OR more importantly to get the rod to feel the way we think it should and to cast the way it should. we generally try to make a rod that will cast well with very little effort however it has to perform!!! and it needs to perform through a wide variety of casting strokes. 2 or 3 more trips to the shop to make new parts and the rod will be starting to take shape, then we build one and send it to the customer and if we have done everything right he gives us a call back and tells us how much he loves it, then he lets his buddy cast it and his buddy orders one, then the Buddy goes to a lodge in alaska where a guide casts it and orders one. The the guide lets his clients fish it and a few of them order one.... that makes me happy:) because then I can afford one and have it to show local guys who might not have a friend who owns one:)

Black_GhostModerator
Thick Tail
Profile Status:

Re: Personal opinion here, but the two best spey rod ... [Re: robA]
      #146600 - 11/13/04 08:39 AM

A Burkheimer and Meiser rod I hope to see before I leave this planet. Spey rod resouce impaired in the Western GLs. My fly shop owners would probably think they were micro brews if I brought those names up to them.

Roba welcome to the board just ignore my frustrations with the lack of spey fly fishing resources out here.

BG

--------------------

Jane Wagner

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Marty, Steelheader69, fredaevans, Black_Ghost 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 13912

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy statement | Rules- Exclusion of Liablity | My Cookies| Mark All Read | Browser Check Steelheader.net

UBB.threads™ 6.4.1

Search Now:
In Association with Amazon.com

Salmon Fishing