ubbt header

;
Guided fishing on the Quinault river System konebb3  
Guided Steelhead Fishing Holdzit fishing Products
Guided Jet Sled fishing trips Batson Enterprises and Forecast components  
fishidaho Join the CCA in the fight to save coastal fisheries
georgebanner      

Many of the forums are  now private for Supporter/members only including FISHING REPORTS!! ... click here to JOIN

Thanks to everybody who has decided to help maintain our great community.  We continue to grow because of your support.

Outdoor Hobbies and Crafts >> Campers, RVs and Tents  

Pages: 1
MartyAdministrator
scentaholic
Profile Status:
  This User's Profile is 80% Complete

Reged: 07/17/00
Loc: Olympic Peninsula
stable lift for campers new
      #140030 - 10/11/04 01:37 PM

So anybody got one? These look like the best option for a camper setup. Seriously looking at adding one of these to the alaskan.

http://www.stablelift.com/index.asp

--------------------
Marty

Pay it forward
got eggs?

Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
fishhog
Mining for steel
Profile Status:
  This User's Profile is 60% Complete

Reged: 12/15/03
Loc: Whatcom
Re: stable lift for campers new [Re: Marty]
      #140036 - 10/11/04 02:14 PM

Doesn't look well suited for off-road use.
Manual jacks are the way to go

--------------------
Stay thirsty my friends

MartyAdministrator
scentaholic
Profile Status:

Re: stable lift for campers new [Re: fishhog]
      #140137 - 10/12/04 01:47 AM

Talked with maker on phone today... says can have camper off in a minute and half!!! by himself... gonna go camper poor on top of boat/truck. I need a second job...

--------------------
Marty

Pay it forward
got eggs?

MartyAdministrator
scentaholic
Profile Status:

#156160 - 12/18/04 05:59 PM

saw this in person today on a truck at costco. Fella had just installed it to the truck , but seemed quite tickled with the new system. Says it lives up to the claims of easy on off and stable platform for the camper. He did say it took him two days to get it on!! With help so this is a fairly big project.

--------------------
Marty

Pay it forward
got eggs?

Outlaw76
Fugarwee
Profile Status:

Reged: 09/14/04
Loc: Snohomish
      #156344 - 12/19/04 08:41 PM

I dont know if its possible to add to your camper, but My camper has remote Atco Jacks all four independent. I can have my camper on or off ready to go in 15 minutes and its nice to have the four independent for leveling close to the ground.

--------------------
"I may be crazy but it keeps me from going insane"

MartyAdministrator
scentaholic
Profile Status:

Re: stable lift for campers new [Re: Outlaw76]
      #156350 - 12/19/04 08:53 PM

this is 2-3 minute on off time and can be leveled. Extremely nice setup for campers, just the most expensive too.

--------------------
Marty

Pay it forward
got eggs?

Screaminreelron
egg
Profile Status:
  This User's Profile is 40% Complete

Reged: 12/14/04
Loc: tacoma area
      #156353 - 12/19/04 08:59 PM

seems like a lot of hardware hanging down to get caught up on what-ever. With my electric jacks, about 10-15 min? and nothing huge hanging down?

MartyAdministrator
scentaholic
Profile Status:

Re: stable lift for campers new [Re: Screaminreelron]
      #156377 - 12/19/04 10:46 PM

not the lowest point of truck but you could loose a little clearance in /\/\ type terrain. But you could hit jacks too. I don't think its a issue in normal use, If I think I going into that type of country I could put the camper down in a couple minutes if I didn't feel comfortable. Thats the beauty of the system .. fast on and don't need level ground to do it. Can't really say that for standard jacks. I have sold myself on them just a matter of time for me to own a setup.

--------------------
Marty

Pay it forward
got eggs?

Idahewes
Carnivore
Profile Status:

Reged: 08/24/04
Loc: Northern Idaho
      #157143 - 12/22/04 08:37 PM

Marty
I bought a used camper a little over a year ago that had a stable lift on it. I took it off and installed it on my camper. It is a fairly involved project. I had a full day dawn to dusk in removing from one camper and installing it on mine. It is great. No tie-downs. You really can unload it in about 2 minutes. It is very stable on the ground and levels up nice. I would highly recommend it.

--------------------
Team Jackson Baldwin
Team Moose Drool

troller
sockeye
Profile Status:

Reged: 01/18/02
Loc: BLACK DIAMOND , WA
      #158750 - 12/29/04 01:31 PM

I put one on my bigfoot camper. I like the fact that it is really steady when you take it off and easy and fast. Down side. Mine came to me with rust spots on it. They charged me extra shipping to have it sent to my house they didnt tell me about. An extra charge from the carrier because it was delivered to a residental address. I would have had it shipped to my buddies warehouse as that was where I was planning on installing it at. Then I had the controls fail multiple times the box that they run all the wiring into was crimp connectors on spade plugs and pushed onto the back of the three switches. They just used a hot glue gun to try and hold them in place. I have tried recrimping the connectors so they hold tighter where they connect to the switches. On the third failure I just tore the whole thing apart and redid it all. Oh and be sure and keep your manual crank and hex key handy when it fails on you and you need to change your spare. I took mine to the tire store to get new rims and I lifted the camper about 2 inches and th motor quit. I new exactly what was wrong one of the main wires either power or ground failed again. The quickest solution was to take the motors off and hand crank it. Witch leads me to the fact that you cannot change a rear tire on my rig without lifting the camper and moving the truck forward with a flat. Oh and did I say that I did hit the lift on a curb going over it. My truck is a 4x4 and sit up a little and it still hit. You need to be pretty carefull. It took two days with three guys to install because I had to remove alot of the appliance's to get to where the wholes needed to be drilled then install everything back in place. One thing I did to strengthen it up was to make 1/4 inch plates out of some aluminum and put in the inside I figured that would be much stronger than the washers they recommended. Basically it is the first and last one I will ever install. Next time I will just go with electic jacks at each corner with a remote . Poor customer service in my opinion. Oh yeah as soon as I put it on and had problems I removed the stickers with their name no free advertising with me. So You can probably guess my recomendation on these.

MartyAdministrator
scentaholic
Profile Status:

Re: stable lift for campers new [Re: troller]
      #158755 - 12/29/04 01:54 PM

Good to hear both sides thanks for the insights/pitfalls

--------------------
Marty

Pay it forward
got eggs?

WoodsyWayne
MODERATOR -Bi-Coastal Intelligence
Profile Status:

Reged: 07/15/01
Loc: Below Mt. Baker
      #179178 - 04/01/05 03:16 PM

So what did ya figure out Tinus?

WW

--------------------
Fishermans Prayer: G-d grant that I may fish until my dying day, and when it comes to my last cast I then most humbly pray, When in the the lord's safe landing net I'm peacefully asleep, that in his mercy I be judged as big enough to keep

MartyAdministrator
scentaholic
Profile Status:

Re: stable lift for campers new [Re: WoodsyWayne]
      #179367 - 04/02/05 12:44 AM

I would like one but buried on my bob the builder stuff right now. It fits the master plan

--------------------
Marty

Pay it forward
got eggs?

WoodsyWayne
MODERATOR -Bi-Coastal Intelligence
Profile Status:

Reged: 07/15/01
Loc: Below Mt. Baker
      #179854 - 04/04/05 06:31 PM

I hear ya, Go! Bob!!

Smart Plan

WW

--------------------
Fishermans Prayer: G-d grant that I may fish until my dying day, and when it comes to my last cast I then most humbly pray, When in the the lord's safe landing net I'm peacefully asleep, that in his mercy I be judged as big enough to keep

snit
dual red striper
Profile Status:

Reged: 08/14/02
Loc: wenatchee
Re: stable lift for campers new [Re: WoodsyWayne]
      #182584 - 04/20/05 08:38 AM

I got the 4 electric Atwoods (I think) on my 1025 Lance and I love them. The remote is wireless, and in all honesty, the camper is off the truck and leveled in less than 10 minutes. The camper is plenty stable to sleep in off the truck (just did 5 nights @ Cathlamet). The stable lift might be an awesome unit, but I don't like the "looks" of it...I'd probably break something on it.

BorntoFish
TEAM OLD PHART
Profile Status:

Reged: 12/12/03
Loc: Boise, Idaho
Re: stable lift for campers new [Re: snit]
      #182587 - 04/20/05 08:58 AM

I like the stability and ease of load/unload of the Stable Lift, but I don't like the price. Guess I'll stick with my electric jacks....they're pretty nice.

--------------------
TEAM JACKSON BALDWIN
TEAM MOOSE DROOL

steelheader63
xylophone grouper
Profile Status:

Reged: 12/19/03
Loc: tacoma, wa.
Re: stable lift for campers new [Re: BorntoFish]
      #182701 - 04/20/05 06:09 PM

i've been thinking about getting a stable lift, cause when i get the spot where i'm gonna camp, i need my truck for driving around and launching. i also want to stay in the camper with it at truck height (with stablility) so i can use the awning on the side. all i got right now is the hydrolic manual kind on the corners, and i have to lower it to some blocks to sleep in it. when it's on the blocks, it's too low to use the awning.

--------------------
if you don't fish, you aint sh@

MartyAdministrator
scentaholic
Profile Status:

Re: stable lift for campers [Re: steelheader63]
      #182772 - 04/21/05 12:11 AM

They look like a solid idea and the only draw back for me is finding the money/time to geterdone.

--------------------
Marty

Pay it forward
got eggs?

PaPaK
egg
Profile Status:
  This User's Profile is Empty or has not been Updated

Reged: 01/31/06

Re: stable lift for campers new [Re: troller]
      #231349 - 01/31/06 05:52 PM

I was seriously considering the Stable Lift but, after reading this review, I'm not so sure. Have any other users experienced similar problems?

MartyAdministrator
scentaholic
Profile Status:

Re: stable lift for campers new [Re: PaPaK]
      #231355 - 01/31/06 06:07 PM

I sure would like to have this system on the truck.. I don't use the camper because of the hassle to load/unload. Seen one a couple locally and they were tickled pink with the systems when I chatted with them.

--------------------
Marty

Pay it forward
got eggs?

BorntoFish
TEAM OLD PHART
Profile Status:

Reged: 12/12/03
Loc: Boise, Idaho
      #231554 - 02/01/06 08:50 PM

No doubt the system is sweet....just too damned expensive.

--------------------
TEAM JACKSON BALDWIN
TEAM MOOSE DROOL

hmmmmm
egg
Profile Status:
  This User's Profile is Empty or has not been Updated

Reged: 09/03/07

Re: stable lift for campers new [Re: BorntoFish]
      #300169 - 09/03/07 06:18 PM

My experience - make your own decision:
Was told over the phone before ordering that "it would add 100 pounds" - It shipped at 450lbs and after removing and weighing my standard jacks they totaled 150lbs. The only item not used in the install from shipping was two 4x4's a few thin sheets of cardboard and some cellophane wrap - so you do the math! This did hurt gas mileage and suspension.
Installed on a fiberglass (Northern lights) camper on a Ford dually (with duallie's, you can not install it as optimally as it was made to work). I took my time because I wanted all the clearances as close as possible, it took 2 full weekends 8 hours a day. Mine also took longer and added extra weight because I had to install extra support plywood since my camper is fiberglass.
Before lifting you need to make sure all spaces around the bottom of the pipes (the ones that rest on the ground) are equally touching the ground as much as possible or the leveling will not work out very well. This is a lot more space than just 4 small jack pads.
Ask yourself if your really okay with removing major parts from inside your camper, drilling 16 holes (8 each side) then reinstalling major parts? You also have to drill holes in your truck frame!
One of the under suspension parts wasn't long enough so I wrote them and asked if they could make me one 3 inches longer - no reply and haven't seen any parts yet??

So, is it easier to take on and off? - Yes. Is it more stable than jacks? - Yes. Is it worth all the other negatives? - Not really. I could just as easily, and with less weight; just take 2 4x4's and 4 small jack stands and used them with the original camper jacks and had things just as stable. It would be a little more time consuming but so was the purchase, install and extra stops at gas stations, and now the subsequent removal, sale and shipping of the dang monstrosity. I too took off their advertising!

AuntyM
Aunty-dote
Profile Status:

Reged: 05/07/01
Loc: Harstine Island
Re: stable lift for campers new [Re: hmmmmm]
      #300191 - 09/03/07 07:40 PM

Marty just needs a different camper. Try this one.

Sport-Cam 1158Z: The Crawling Truck Camper

--------------------
Attention Vegans. My food poops on your food!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  buxndux, Dogfish 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Thread views: 21569

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy statement | Rules- Exclusion of Liablity | My Cookies| Mark All Read | Browser Check Steelheader.net

UBB.threads™ 6.4.1

Search Now:
In Association with Amazon.com

Salmon Fishing