Outdoor Hobbies and Crafts >> Rod Building (custom and repairs)  

Pages: 1
Knapp45
2 salt
Profile Status:
  This User's Profile is 80% Complete

Reged: 08/05/10
Loc: Seattle
THREAD COLOR BLEED QUESTION
      #408920 - 12/15/10 01:59 PM Attachment (0 downloads)

I am new to rod building and try to find the answers to my questions by searching the web, but I can't figure this one out.

This is a Rainshadow RDR86MH, black gloss, wrapped with Gudebrod Metallic Black and Pacific Bay Nylon Evergreen, both in size A. The initial wraps came out nice, as far as I'm concerned, until I put on my CP, U-40 Color Lock 2.

I fully expected the Nylon to darken a shade, but black color seems to have really run into the green, causing black bands in the wraps. I don't think it is the blank color bleeding through.
I just built one of these blanks last month and used a light gray nylon and silver trim with no problems.

Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Knapp45
2 salt
Profile Status:

Re: THREAD COLOR BLEED QUESTION new [Re: Knapp45]
      #408921 - 12/15/10 02:00 PM Attachment (0 downloads)

Before CP

Elkman
Chromer
Profile Status:
  This User's Profile is 60% Complete

Reged: 09/29/03
Loc: Silverdale, WA
      #408935 - 12/15/10 11:44 PM

1st pic is kinda dark and hard to see. In the second pic do you have a black trim wrap in the middle of the green?? or did you just not pack the wraps enough.

--------------------
Bigfoot's Custom Rods- Owner

Rainshadow Prostaffer
FJ40 Owner
TLCA Member
RMEF Member

Knapp45
2 salt
Profile Status:

Re: THREAD COLOR BLEED QUESTION new [Re: Elkman]
      #408943 - 12/16/10 09:37 AM

There is a black underwrap with a three strand green inlay in the center, then the hook keeper is wrapped with green and each green wrap has a single black strand in it. All packed pretty tight.

I noticed that on some of the guide wraps there are dark miscolored bands in the green, and there is no black inlay to bleed, just a three strand trim band.

adamh
returning spawner
Profile Status:

Reged: 12/09/09
Loc: Port Angeles Washington
      #408944 - 12/16/10 09:46 AM

too hard to tell by the picture, but my first guess would be that it is not packed quite tight enough.

Uboat
Old Phart
Profile Status:

Reged: 03/31/04
Loc: Meridian, Idaho
Re: THREAD COLOR BLEED QUESTION new [Re: adamh]
      #408947 - 12/16/10 10:14 AM

The problems looks like not enough color preserver preserving the green. The green is opaque due to a lack of preserver and the black underwrap is showing through.

Brewer
Then They Turned @ Last To Me, We Shall Call You Brewer, The Slayer Of Salmons You Shall Be'
Profile Status:

Reged: 12/01/02
Loc: The Mass Production Zone.
Re: THREAD COLOR BLEED QUESTION new [Re: Uboat]
      #408952 - 12/16/10 12:43 PM

--------------------

Brewer's reel cleaning service is up and rolling. Contact me through PM for info and address.

3RivrFishr
Jonsin' for Steel
Profile Status:
  This User's Profile is 100% Complete

Reged: 03/18/02
Loc: Lewiston, Id.
Re: THREAD COLOR BLEED QUESTION new [Re: Brewer]
      #408958 - 12/16/10 04:27 PM

I would agree with U-boat 'cept the CP is what caused the problem in the first place. If I read correctly the bleed-through occured because CP was applied. Its my understanding that there is no finish coat of epoxy at this point. Correct?

If so my guess is that you didnt apply CP to the black underwrap prior to wrapping the green. Then when you applied CP to the green overwrap it turned translucent allowing the black to bleed through. Since it isnt possible to get an even coat on an underwap after an overwrap is applied it caused that uneven bleedthrough effect.

I would bet that if you applied two coats of CP...or even one heavy coat, wiping off the excess with a brush, to the underwraps and allow it to dry before wrapping the overwrap your colors would stay put.

Reminds me... I've got an RDR86M blank sitting in the workshop. I should probably make something out of it!

--------------------

Real joy comes not from ease or riches or from the praise of men, but from doing something worthwile. -Wilfred T. Grenfell
Keep fishin and keep smilin -Tooter

Knapp45
2 salt
Profile Status:

Re: THREAD COLOR BLEED QUESTION new [Re: 3RivrFishr]
      #408973 - 12/16/10 08:38 PM

Yes, you're right there is no epoxy on the wraps yet. Just one coat of CP. I know now I need to CP the underwrap first, and I guess that I need to pack the guide wraps tighter, although I was pretty anal with them.

The guide wraps didn't have a underwrap, or any black thread in the wrap at all, just a trim band added afterward, and they still developed dark black stripes.

I'm going to rewrap the rod and I'm going to use black nylon and CP any underwraps I use. I think I'm gonna underwrap all the guides as well and go with a green a couple shades lighter.

Man this is FUN!

CastawayChris

Profile Status:

Reged: 11/27/03
Loc: Sequim, Wa
      #408987 - 12/17/10 09:02 AM

Quote:

Knapp45 said:
Yes, you're right there is no epoxy on the wraps yet. Just one coat of CP. I know now I need to CP the underwrap first, and I guess that I need to pack the guide wraps tighter, although I was pretty anal with them.

The guide wraps didn't have a underwrap, or any black thread in the wrap at all, just a trim band added afterward, and they still developed dark black stripes.

I'm going to rewrap the rod and I'm going to use black nylon and CP any underwraps I use. I think I'm gonna underwrap all the guides as well and go with a green a couple shades lighter.

Man this is FUN!

Ok, now, lets throw out all the BS. It is not the fact that you put the color preserver on after you overwrapped. I do this all the time and never once had a problem with it and I build a lot of rods. You stated yourself that the guide wraps didn't have and underwrap and still streaked. The problem is simply the thread either didn't get enough color preserver. Add one more coat and then apply your epoxy and my guess is they magicly disappear. My second guess is that there is some sort of thread contamination on your spool that the color preserver didn't agree with. Without having it in front of me its hard to pin point exactly what, but I can tell ya that IF your threads are packed tight, than when you color preserve over your underwrap and overwrap there shouldn't be a problem. Add a drop or two of water to your color preserver, this will thin it out and get rid of bubbles. By thinning it a little it will soak thru the overwrap and get the underwrap too. I always soak the wraps with preserver and do not remove any excess. Good luck.

--------------------
Rattlesnake Prostaff
Rainshadow Rod blanks and components

CastawayChris

Profile Status:

Re: THREAD COLOR BLEED QUESTION new [Re: CastawayChris]
      #408998 - 12/17/10 10:42 AM

On a side note if you did color preserve the underwrap before wrapping the overwrap, it couldn't hurt. Black is black tho no matter what if you are using too light of a color, its going to be transparent no matter if that underwrap is color preserved before or not. From the looks of it, that pac bay thread color your using is the same as the old Gudewind green 4 oz spool I have here and if so, that is a green that is pretty light for green nylon and the black will show through a bit, but still shouldn't streak. Another thing to check is your brush or whatever you applied the preserver with for possible contaminates. I'll look before I use the utensil and if in doubt, wipe the brush or spatula or whatever with alcohol. Ok, thats all I know lol. good luck.

--------------------
Rattlesnake Prostaff

3RivrFishr
Jonsin' for Steel
Profile Status:

#409020 - 12/17/10 04:53 PM

Ok, now, lets throw out all the BS.

Is this something new that your support group suggested for you try?

--------------------

Real joy comes not from ease or riches or from the praise of men, but from doing something worthwile. -Wilfred T. Grenfell

CastawayChris

Profile Status:

#409034 - 12/17/10 06:55 PM

Quote:

3RivrFishr said:

Ok, now, lets throw out all the BS.

Is this something new that your support group suggested for you try?

Nah, they would never recommend that. You have to be willing to change. I'm not willing and they know that . batson would say, "your making mountains out of mole hills". After hearing that for the last 8 years and chalkin up all the rods I have under my belt now, I've learned a lot of these things on my own the hard way and I know how frustrating it can be, so I figured clear things up. I didn't step on your fragile toes did I Mr. Asker? Cause next time I'm not holdin back brotha lol!

--------------------
Rattlesnake Prostaff

3RivrFishr
Jonsin' for Steel
Profile Status:

#409040 - 12/17/10 09:38 PM

Dude, youve seen me stand ankle deep in 40 degree water on the swimdeck of my boat for 8 hours. I fished with you and Batson for two days with a cracked shin. You dont really think my toes are fragile do you?

No, my freind you didnt step on my toes...fragile or otherwise. Your guesses about the problem were as good as anyone elses. Its just that for some reason I still find it difficult to resist taking a jab at ya from time to time.

--------------------

Will fish for food
Thick Tail
Profile Status:

Reged: 08/28/02
Loc: South West Washington
      #409042 - 12/17/10 09:42 PM

OK. now you put a over wrap on thread that should of had CP on it before the over wrap. If I use a under wrap I CP before
and let dry then the over wrap.Also if you CP the under wrap it seals it so the over wrap will stay tight. Your bleed through looks to me that the under wrap is making micro gaps in the green thread allowing the black to show. I've had the same problem.The best way is to finish the under coat with a thin coat of finish(remove extra) let cure then wrap. I do that on all heavy salt rods.

--------------------
Take A Kid Fishing It Will Be Good For Both Of You
Team SGM Kurtz

Knapp45
2 salt
Profile Status:

Re: THREAD COLOR BLEED QUESTION new [Re: Will fish for food]
      #409047 - 12/18/10 01:31 AM

Thanks for all the ideas and opinions guys... huge help.

Since I have nothing to lose, I'm going to put another coat of CP on everything. If the problem was the fact that the thread hadn't been soaked thoroughly/evenly than I'll have a good fix. If I see even a small improvement I'll know that was at least part of the problem.

Thanks again for muddling through my rookie questions.

I'm sure I will keep you guys busy with my BS this winter! Already have too many rods built in my head....

CastawayChris

Profile Status:

#409060 - 12/18/10 09:27 AM

Quote:

3RivrFishr said:
Dude, youve seen me stand ankle deep in 40 degree water on the swimdeck of my boat for 8 hours. I fished with you and Batson for two days with a cracked shin. You dont really think my toes are fragile do you?

No, my freind you didnt step on my toes...fragile or otherwise. Your guesses about the problem were as good as anyone elses. Its just that for some reason I still find it difficult to resist taking a jab at ya from time to time.

Kinda fun aint it !!! I knew I'd get someone goin with "Ok, now lets throw out all the BS", just didn't expect it outta you. Excellent reply tho, but you outta know my support group is a bunch smart ass fish mongers that like to drink to much ,.

Knapp45, what WFFF said is a very common thing to have happen when you over wrap. You can do exactly what he said and avoid it all together or you can make sure you underwrap with A and pack those threads as tight as they can go and then overwrap with D. This is difficult to get perfect sometimes, but doable. Good luck man.

--------------------
Rattlesnake Prostaff

Knapp45
2 salt
Profile Status:

#409091 - 12/18/10 04:07 PM

Right on, thanks...I'll update how it goes

CastawayChris

Profile Status:

#409094 - 12/18/10 05:03 PM

Oh, and on your overwrap, losen your tension a bit, that will help.

--------------------
Rattlesnake Prostaff

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  buxndux, Gooose, Dogfish 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 3814

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us | Rules- Exclusion of Liablity | My Cookies| Mark All Read | Browser Check Steelheader.net

UBB.threads™ 6.4.1

Search Now:
In Association with Amazon.com

Salmon Fishing