Outdoor Hobbies and Crafts >> Rod Building (custom and repairs)  

Pages: 1
alanmikkelsen
The Bass Ackwards Captain
Profile Status:
  This User's Profile is 80% Complete

Reged: 09/10/05
Loc: St. Ignatius, MT
Lake Trout Jigging Rod new
      #414813 - 07/05/11 08:35 PM

Here's the situation: Jigging for lake trout up to 280' deep, using braid, 1 oz. jigs, sometimes a bit heavier. Trout will run 3-20 lbs. What would anyone recommend for a rod with a sensitive enough tip to pick up the take on a dropping jig, and enough backbone to set the hook on a hard mouthed Mack?

I've been using an 8', medium light, extra fast tip. Just wondering if there's something better out there?

--------------------
50 years of foolin' fish.

It'll feel better just as soon as it quits hurting!

Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Washougal
king
Profile Status:
  This User's Profile is 60% Complete

Reged: 10/11/07
Loc: Milwaukie, OR
Re: Lake Trout Jigging Rod new [Re: alanmikkelsen]
      #414819 - 07/06/11 09:00 AM

7 foot 3 power mag bass rod will fit the bill, used this option when I was invited to Tahoe for a weekend. I myself for fly ins would use a flipping stick with a roller tip installed, I now have a jigger, troller, including wire line trolling, and a rod that packs down to 6 ft.
My all timer favorites are my 2 piece Rogue Back bouncing rods, but they a no longer available.

Edited by Washougal (07/06/11 09:05 AM)

CastawayChris

Profile Status:
  This User's Profile is 60% Complete

Reged: 11/27/03
Loc: Sequim, Wa
Re: Lake Trout Jigging Rod [Re: Washougal]
      #414928 - 07/12/11 09:06 AM

Alan, here are 4 choices I recommend. XBB962 8' 10-20lb. fast, this is a backbounce rod and makes a killer jiggin stick for anything, it is RX8 graphite so it has a lot of sensitivity need for those on the drop bites. Next choice would be an HS962 8' 12-20lb. extra fast, great kwikfish rod and great for jigging. Next choice would be an HS1023 8'6" 12-25lb. extra fast this rod is great rod for some light jigging, I have used mine for jigging kings, it also runs kwikfish and divers for fall kings/springers. Both HS models are RX7 graphite with an extra fast tip to pick up those on the drop bites. Your last option would be an XSW80ML, this is an 8' 6-14lb. fast action walleye blank featuring the RX8 graphite. I have no experience with this blank for the walleye line was introduced not to long ago, but I've had it in my hands and it is extremely light and sensitive, matched with some 14 or 20lb. braid it should be deadly for jigging a 1oz. jig. Hmmm Lake trout, BUCKET LIST!!!

--------------------
Rattlesnake Prostaff
Rainshadow Rod blanks and components

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  buxndux, Gooose, Dogfish 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 2916

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us | Rules- Exclusion of Liablity | My Cookies| Mark All Read | Browser Check Steelheader.net

UBB.threads™ 6.4.1

Search Now:
In Association with Amazon.com

Salmon Fishing