ubbt header

;
Guided fishing on the Quinault river System konebb3  
Guided Steelhead Fishing Holdzit fishing Products
Guided Jet Sled fishing trips Batson Enterprises and Forecast components  
fishidaho Join the CCA in the fight to save coastal fisheries
georgebanner      

Many of the forums are  now private for Supporter/members only including FISHING REPORTS!! ... click here to JOIN

Thanks to everybody who has decided to help maintain our great community.  We continue to grow because of your support.

There are currently 2 users in the Chat Room. Join them!
River Fishing >> Steelhead and Salmon Fishing  

Pages: 1
Snagly
Still spoonin' after all these years!
Profile Status:
  This User's Profile is 60% Complete

Reged: 08/08/00
Loc: Sri Lanka & Singapore
Need a Primer on Bobber Doggin' and Stick Lead new
      #422694 - 08/18/12 06:31 AM

As usual I'm a little slow to the party. Can I ask the Board to provide a summary of the pros and cons plus maybe some 'when and where?' tips?

All I know is that fishing monster Robbo Endsley attributes the pairing of 35,000 spinner wire and 1/16 oz hollow core lead to General Zog, and says it's the Next Big Thing in drift fishing.

Before I buy 100m of 1/16 oz and 1 km of skinny spinner wire, I'd like to read what the drift fishing honchos have to say about this vs. 3/8 oz pencil lead, rubber tubing and a snap swivel.

--------------------
Starting Sep 2012, the Skeena & tribs will be "locals only" for weekend fishing. I wanted to warn the Terrace & Smithers fishing mobs that we Yanks will be courtin' your women while you're on the river!

Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
AuntyM
Aunty-dote
Profile Status:

Reged: 05/07/01
Loc: Harstine Island
Re: Need a Primer on Bobber Doggin' and Stick Lead new [Re: Snagly]
      #422695 - 08/18/12 08:02 AM

I assume you mean the "inline" lead with the wire running through the middle where it's looped on both ends? I saw them on one of the radio show websites.

I'm sure it works fine, but it seems to me that if you need to add or subtract a fraction of weight, it would be a big pain in the butt. As you know, the longer you're spending time changing your rig, the less time you're fishing. Maybe you're good at guessing how much lead to use for a certain drift, but I'm not. I usually start a little heavy and trim it down. Try doing that with one of those "fancy" hollow core sticks.

--------------------
Attention Vegans. My food poops on your food!

AuntyM
Aunty-dote
Profile Status:

Re: Need a Primer on Bobber Doggin' and Stick Lead new [Re: AuntyM]
      #422696 - 08/18/12 08:11 AM

After talking to hubby, he kind of liked the idea. Probably because he likes the process of "making" stuff. He says he'd try it just to see.

--------------------

MartyAdministrator
scentaholic
Profile Status:
  This User's Profile is 80% Complete

Reged: 07/17/00
Loc: Olympic Peninsula
Re: Need a Primer on Bobber Doggin' and Stick Lead new [Re: AuntyM]
      #422702 - 08/18/12 09:59 AM

Bobber doggins is a form of freedrifting but using a bobber and gear below it. Its a boat technique for the dogging portion.

The stick weight has been around for some time its just been discovered by the personalities.. think walley guys who use wired sinkers to feel the bottom. Same basic concept applied to steelhead river fishing.

Bobber doggin you want the weight to drag bottom as you cover ground. The thin lead allows for a freer drift along with the vertical line presentation so it doesn't wrap rocks which occurs with standard drift fishing.

You have seen the presentation used in BC ..... weight on bottom.... swivel(threeway or double tie for leader)... then your float (strike indicator). This was the technique the austrian was using with the cool centerpin that swiveled alvey style.

Clear as mud?

--------------------
Marty

Pay it forward
got eggs?

MartyAdministrator
scentaholic
Profile Status:

Re: Need a Primer on Bobber Doggin' and Stick Lead new [Re: Marty]
      #422703 - 08/18/12 10:03 AM

You can fish worms, colorado spinners, bad bunnies, flies and other various items. Just adjust the dropper length so your lure fishes in the zone without dragging. BTW as the lead drags it puts a hurky jerky motion onto your lure.

--------------------
Marty

Pay it forward
got eggs?

MartyAdministrator
scentaholic
Profile Status:

#422704 - 08/18/12 10:08 AM

Aunty inline weights are similar to stick baits except you don't need second eye on bottom. Setup is different

--------------------
Marty

Pay it forward
got eggs?

AuntyM
Aunty-dote
Profile Status:

#422705 - 08/18/12 10:48 AM

I'll stick with what I do now. No need to be confused!

--------------------

Snagly
Profile Status:

Re: Need a Primer on Stick Lead Drift Fishing new [Re: AuntyM]
      #422707 - 08/18/12 06:43 PM

Sorry for the terminological inexactitude. Let's drop the "doggin'" bit from the question.

Marty, I've seen centerpinners Al and Joeddy do the same thing when the flows are heavy: heavy weights on the bottom and yarn fly on a dropper below a Drennan float which drags the gear through the slot. Works for those guys pretty well. (And I do recall the merthiolate grub fishers doing the same thing, too, many moons ago. Marty, do you ever use that reel?)

From that same video on Outdoorline.com, it seems that the honchos don't loop the bottom wire. They crimp the lead to the wire, then can subtract as need be.

Raw lead bouncing on rocks would seem to impart the same feel up the line irrespective of whether it's 3/8" or 1/16" diameter. So I can't see how you get better feel with longer and skinnier unless the rigidity of the wire down the middle somehow makes the hollow core more sensitive.

So there's the issue of rig configuration. A 6" piece of wire and lead on a dropper (?) is going to put the business end of the rig higher off the floor than the normal pencil lead array. This would seem to have pluses and minuses.

Tell us more about the gear wrapping around rocks. My impression (on those infrequent times when I drift fish) is that the lead getting wedged into the rocks is much more likely than the Bad Bunny-Corkie combo hanging up.

--------------------
Starting Sep 2012, the Skeena & tribs will be "locals only" for weekend fishing. I wanted to warn the Terrace & Smithers fishing mobs that we Yanks will be courtin' your women while you're on the river!

MartyAdministrator
scentaholic
Profile Status:

Re: Need a Primer on Stick Lead Drift Fishing new [Re: Snagly]
      #422708 - 08/18/12 09:12 PM

its very river dependant for rock wrapping/wedging between gaps with lead.. If the place is a boulder garden, drift fishing is not a good choice. The super skinny leads will slide through easier and if they are vertical even easier and more importantly not settle into a bottom gap with the float helping guide/carry it. Give me a nice gravel river and I will wear out the eye on a piece of lead before hanging up.

These days there a lot of guys who don't drift fish old school style and fish with the strike indicator up top . Jig fishing is what they learned, so this is a bit of a spin off that style. Fished properly it is a deadly technique too.

There is a important highlight about the stick leads that may seem subtle but helps alot. The wire gives the super thin and SOFT lead a way to hang onto your rigging without wearing out the eye. Every river has a technique that will out fish others and it usually centers around getting your gear in the zone for longer or more effeciently.

--------------------
Marty

Pay it forward
got eggs?

MartyAdministrator
scentaholic
Profile Status:

Re: Need a Primer on Stick Lead Drift Fishing new [Re: Marty]
      #422709 - 08/18/12 09:15 PM

ON the reel... that thing is pretty cool but I don't use it as my first choice. Its been out a couple times but I have yet to score on it. Need to commit to using only that reel for the day to force positive results.

--------------------
Marty

Pay it forward
got eggs?

fredaevans
Thick Tail
Profile Status:

Reged: 06/12/03
Loc: Upper Rogue River- Oregon
Re: Need a Primer on Stick Lead Drift Fishing new [Re: Marty]
      #422715 - 08/19/12 11:34 AM

Even as a fly fisherman I'm finding this an interesting thread to follow. Waaaaay back in the I used something similar, save for it was a 6" mono dropper (one over hand knot at the bottom) and removable split shot.

The dropper was just over-run of the main line mono. If you did hang up (it happens)the ML is heavy enough to just pull the split shot off over the knot at the bottom.

--------------------
Fred A. Evans

KONGELAKS
Schwack!
Profile Status:

Reged: 04/08/04
Loc: Puyallup, WA
Re: Need a Primer on Stick Lead Drift Fishing new [Re: fredaevans]
      #422750 - 08/21/12 10:15 AM

I prefer slinkies when bobber-doggin, the slinkies don't hang up as much as pencil lead. We have floated 15 miles of the Bogie and only lost 1 or 2 rigs. Compared to leader loss from sidedrifting the choice is easy

--------------------
I love the Chum.

RB3
Empty Punch Card.
Profile Status:

Reged: 05/24/10
Re: Need a Primer on Stick Lead Drift Fishing new [Re: KONGELAKS]
      #422908 - 09/02/12 05:49 AM

Duane has picture tutorials up. I've fished with him and got the skinny on it. Run braid to a uni to uni with mono. Add your float and with a snap swivel attached your hollow core on a spinner wire. Then tie on a leader with a corkie/hook/bait and you are done. Its a great way to fish with people that aren't very proficient at feeling a drift bite (myself). Biggest most importnat thing I learned was to reel til you feel then set the hook. Good luck.

RB3
Empty Punch Card.
Profile Status:

Reged: 05/24/10
Re: Need a Primer on Stick Lead Drift Fishing new [Re: RB3]
      #422913 - 09/03/12 02:15 AM

Sorry forgot to add that I tied on about 10-15 ft of mono up to the braid with the uni.

Snagly
Profile Status:

Re: Need a Primer on Stick Lead Drift Fishing new [Re: RB3]
      #422919 - 09/03/12 02:56 PM

RB3: where can I find Duane's tutorials on line?

BTW, I recommend the twisted pair, 4x Surgeon's knot for braid-to-mono splices. (Instructions on this site under Articles and In Praise of Braid

Thanks for the tips!

--------------------

Gray_Ghost
2 salt
Profile Status:

Reged: 03/31/08
Loc: Flowing Waters
Re: Need a Primer on Stick Lead Drift Fishing [Re: Snagly]
      #422923 - 09/03/12 11:34 PM

Here is Duane Inglin's tutorial on stick weights.

http://video.theoutdoorline.com/view_vid...amp;category=mr

GG

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  busybeaver, buxndux, Steelheader69, Gooose, Dogfish, ibgrizz 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 3820

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy statement | Rules- Exclusion of Liablity | My Cookies| Mark All Read | Browser Check Steelheader.net

UBB.threads™ 6.4.1

Search Now:
In Association with Amazon.com

Salmon Fishing