Trouthead
Subject of the Puritan Rep. of Washington
Profile Status:
  This User's Profile is 80% Complete

Reged: 09/17/02
Loc: Lost
Puget Sound rockfish conservation plan new
      #413186 - 04/25/11 01:15 PM

Well, here's the information and a link to the whole plan. This plan talks about removing derelict gear, etc. but the state has turned down the law saying the commercials should report their lost gear. So, this plan has extra money to find the things?

I'm not too good at interpreting these things. Bear, AuntyM what do you think?

WDFW NEWS RELEASE
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, WA 98501-1091
http://wdfw.wa.gov/

April 25, 2011

WDFW releases Puget Sound rockfish conservation plan

OLYMPIA - The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) today released a new management plan designed to protect and restore rockfish populations in Puget Sound.

The Puget Sound Rockfish Conservation plan includes policies, strategies and actions designed to help restore and maintain abundance, distribution, diversity and long-term productivity of rockfish populations in Puget Sound.

Developed with input from an ad-hoc advisory group, the new plan includes suggestions made during an extensive public review process in 2009-10 that included 1,100 public comments received by the department.

The plan builds on WDFW's efforts to protect rockfish in Puget Sound, where three species - bocaccio, yelloweye and canary rockfish - were listed for protection under the federal Endangered Species Act in 2010.

Key provisions of the new plan include:

Managing fisheries in Puget Sound to ensure the health and productivity of all rockfish species.
Utilizing science-based marine conservation areas that, with other actions, aid in natural production of rockfish populations and their habitats.
Working with the Northwest Straits Commission, tribes, fishers and others to improve the system for reporting and removing lost fishing gear from Puget Sound.
Promoting the restoration of depleted stocks to sustainable levels through the appropriate use of hatchery programs and artificial habitats.
Since 2004, WDFW has required anglers to release any canary or yelloweye rockfish they encounter in Puget Sound. Last year, WDFW also adopted regulations restricting the depth anglers can fish for bottomfish and prohibiting the retention of rockfish in most areas of the Sound.

In addition, WDFW has closed commercial fisheries that target rockfish in Puget Sound, as well as several other commercial fisheries that would likely catch rockfish while fishing for other species.

But harvest restrictions, alone, are not enough to rebuild these important, slow-growing and highly vulnerable rockfish populations, said Phil Anderson, director of WDFW.

"This new plan will not only guide our management of fisheries in Puget Sound but also our efforts in other areas such as removing derelict gear, monitoring, habitat protection and education," Anderson said.

The plan is available online at http://wdfw.wa.gov/conservation/fisheries/rockfish/ .

--------------------
Trouthead

ABU/Ambassaduer Rest Home - Maître d' (New residents welcome)

C.A.S.T. supporter and advocate
Organic Garden Hackle Pro Staff
http://www.castforkids.org/

Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Lead_Bouncer
25 dollar expert since 2007
Profile Status:
  This User's Profile is 60% Complete

Reged: 08/09/07
Loc: king county
Re: Puget Sound rockfish conservation plan new [Re: Trouthead]
      #424486 - 03/29/13 01:54 AM

I heard both of those guys are gone. Hard to say whats going to be done. The law passed last year.

--------------------

GoooseModerator
Ancient Mod
Profile Status:
  This User's Profile is 80% Complete

Reged: 09/14/01
Loc: In The Briar Patch
Re: Puget Sound rockfish conservation plan new [Re: Lead_Bouncer]
      #424523 - 04/02/13 05:23 PM

Both who is gone?

--------------------
There's lies, damned lies and then there are statistics......Mark Twain
Southforks Babysitter
$7 Discover Pass in 2012

AuntyM
Aunty-dote
Profile Status:
  This User's Profile is 60% Complete

Reged: 05/07/01
Loc: Harstine Island
Re: Puget Sound rockfish conservation plan [Re: Gooose]
      #424525 - 04/02/13 09:38 PM

AuntyM is not gone Gooose. Let me take a WAG at it...

Bear has moved out of the area, (Colorado?) and his sidekick on the rockfish stuff, Rob Tobeck resigned from his CCA position.

--------------------
Attention Vegans. My food poops on your food!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Marty, buxndux, Gooose, Dogfish 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 3387

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us | Rules- Exclusion of Liablity | My Cookies| Mark All Read | Browser Check Steelheader.net

UBB.threads™ 6.4.1

Search Now:
In Association with Amazon.com

Salmon Fishing